They are used to record death-defying stunts. They are always attached to the outfits of the paragliders, skydivers, or just a lifestyle video blog. You most certainly need the best action camera. Action cams are one of the trendiest and best devices for fun lovers and movie makers. You must have heard about the popular GoPro camera; there are many more of these fancy and functional devices in circulation.
They are mostly compact, dustproof, waterproof, and other forms of proof. What is most interesting about them is the full range of the functions and specifications that they have. You can record HD 4K picture from the comfort of your dashboard or videos of yourself diving from the mount Everest. Unlike some conventional cameras where the user has to dismount before transferring some of these files, some of these cameras have wireless functions that enable the user to capture and upload the pictures online on the go. Whatever fun you want to have, there are cameras, just for you. Check them out.
01. GoPro Action Camera – The Stunning GoPro Hero
GoPro is the household name in action cameras. This is not because they were the first action-cams; it is because they are the best. If you are a lover of high quality, high definition videos, then you should grab this “black beauty.” The GoPro hero can record perplexing retina images in 080p30 and 720p60 dimensions. It comes with a 5 MP lens, which is encased in a durable, waterproof casing that has been designed for extreme environments and conditions.
With an expandable, external memory of 32 GB, you can record as many images and videos as it can contain.
This device is compatible with adjustable mounts and the GoPro software, making synchronizations easy.
With the inbuilt microphone, you can record audio and video seamlessly. Other great features include the tiny screen that shows all the vital information during the recording/capturing of images. The time-lapse feature allows the user to take pictures at the most convenient time. Guess what; the pricing is perfect for your budget.
- GoPro has a very durable and waterproof casing, which is resistant to about 40 meters of water.
- It has the ability to Record 1080p30 and 720p60 resolution of videos.
- GoPro can be used with an expandable memory card of up to 32gb.
- It is affordable, and it is one of the best waterproof action cameras
- It has minimal memory space which is a setback for video recording
- Cannot capture 4k videos.
- For lovers of brilliant shots, the 5MP is a sad disappointment.
02. ASX ActionPro Black – Best Action Camera Under 200
It is stunning, sleek, and affordable. It is an ASX action camera.
The best action camera under 200 tag is a well-deserving appellation for the ASX pro because of the following features. It has a stunning 12 MP camera, which is designed to capture wide angles in one glance. It comes with lots of accessories that are compatible with bikes, poles, head straps, and any other surface of your choice.
ASX ActionPro lightweight device has a sleek console, and it comes in a stain-resistant, black casing. The user will enjoy the excellent battery life as well as the 60fps resolution after every use.
- What is not to love about a fantastic 12MP camera that captures images and videos in 720 resolution
- The ASX pro camera has great battery life.
- It has great accessories that are mountable on a pole, wires, and other parts.
- Its lightweight, weighing less than 2 pounds, and measures 9.6 x 4.4 x 4.3 inches.
- The ASX pro camera does not have excellent storage space
- The ASX pro camera does not come with a suction mount
- It only comes in black.
03. Mobius Pro Black Box – Best Dash Cam for Car
Popularly called the Black Box. The Mobius Pro Mini Action Camera is a wonder in a box. It is shaped like a mini projector, and it has features that can rival most projectors can’t claim to have. The Mobius Pro Black Box super – clear video output 30 FPS at 1080P and 60 FPS at 720P.
The reason the black box is called the best camera for dashboard cameras is because of its mounting ability on any form of automobile. It also has a very powerful battery of 820mAh, which can record over 100 hours of crystal clear videos at 18000kpbs. For those who love HD videos, you would like the Mobius black box.
- It has a wide dynamic range lens, which makes it great for capturing images in low light.
- The black box is very lightweight and portable enough to fit in anyplace as it weighs 0.96 ounces and measures 2 x 1 x 1 inch.
- It has a considerable battery life, which can last between 100-150 hours when fully charged.
- Easy to attach on a dashboard with Velcro.
- It is extremely small sized.
- It comes with a little microSD card.
04. DJI Osmo – Best Waterproof 4k Action Camera
It depends on who you want to be, the star of the show? Or the person behind the camera. Whatever your choice, the Osmo action camera is the go-to camera of choice. DJI Osmo is one of the most beautiful cameras which boasts of dual screens that display crystal- clear images, especially from the back.
As an action camera, it is waterproof, and it has a unique anti-shake feature, which makes recording seamless and stressless. With the click of a button, the user can record HDR videos with ease. It comes with a 32 SD card, which is expandable to 128 GB.
- Vivid dual screens that are responsive to touch
- The Osmo action camera has shake- free features which help to record to be done even in turbulent situations.
- It has hydrophobic casing on the screen and on other parts, which is responsible for its waterproof feature.
- It is expensive when compared with its contemporaries.
- The camera cannot capture images above 12MP
05. Akaso V50X Native – Best Action Camera Under 100
The Akaso V50X Native action camera might be very affordable, but that doesn’t mean it is a low-quality camera. This camera is every bit worth every money spent on it. It has one of the best adjustable angle views for spectacular adjustment. It allows the user to make all the adjustments when taking the picture.
The user can take high definition 4K videos at 30fps. The Akaso action camera has one feature that most action cameras lack, which is the image stabilization feature, a feature that ensures that irrespective of the action, the pictures are always stabilized.
Akaso V50X Native action camera comes with two rechargeable batteries of 1350mAh, which can support over 100 hours of video recording. It’s one of the best action cameras under 100.
- The Akaso action camera has an excellent adjustable view angle, which allows the user to capture images from angles of their choice.
- Great battery life. It comes with two rechargeable batteries
- Akaso V50X native comes with an easy to use touch screen feature
- It is incredibly affordable.
- This cam just perfect for novice as the features are below par for professionals
- It is very fragile
- The lifespan of the battery degrades very fast, as they get older.
06. Emerson EVC355BK – Action Cam with Console
No action camera can claim to have the external beauty that the Emerson EVC355BK action camera has externally. The 5.0-megapixel camera is a wonder in a box. It was designed to allow the user to shoot high definition videos and capture images of such quality also at the click of a button.
The Emerson action camera comes packaged in a waterproof case and a camera shield. The camera comes with a point of attachment for the helmet, bikes, and other body attachments. It comes with rechargeable Li-ion batteries.
- The Emerson action camera comes with a 4X digital zoom, which ensures that focus on distant objects is more explicit.
- The Emerson action camera has an almost 2-inch LCD screen, which shows the images as they are being shot.
- It is very lightweight and affordable, making it a top choice for amateurs.
- The Emerson action camera can only shoot images that have a 720p resolution. This resolution is very inconsequential for those who love very high- definition images.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are not the best for long hours of video recording.
- They are sometimes fragile.
07. DBPower D5 Native EIS – Best 4k Action Camera
DBPower D5 Native EIS is almost unbelievable to know that an action camera that can shoot 4K videos can be this affordable. The dbpower camera is known for its ability to shoot videos, capture images, and sync with wifi. The DB power comes with a 14 MP camera, which is designed to record resolutions of 4K 60fps 720P 120fps of Video and photos of 30fps and 1080P.
It is powered by rechargeable batteries that can last for 180 hours. For those days when your camera accidentally falls into water, you can be sure that you will be able to use your camera because of its waterproof casing, which can withstand immersion of 148 meters.
- The Dbpower camera is compatible with Wi-Fi devices, iOS, and Android devices.
- It supports the use of an expandable microSD card of up to 32GB.
- The dbpower camera has a colorful and very interactive LCD screen.
- Very affordable.
- It has very considerable weight weighing about 1.25 pounds and measuring 7.7 x 4.4 x 2.3 inches.
- It only comes in the black colored console.
- Battery not as strong as it should be
08. DJI Osmo – Dual Screen Action Camera
The freedom to choose is what everyone wants in a product, and it is this freedom that the DJI Osmo action camera gives its user. The DJI action camera comes with two screens. The front screen allows the user to capture themselves in any circumstance and a back screen, which is super responsive to touch and delivers a brilliant expression of images. If you are a lover of technology, you will adore the DJI action camera because of its rock steady technology and its HDR capability, which allows you to capture images with any lighting condition. Other technology includes time-lapse, slow motion, and custom settings.
- The DJI action camera has a crystal clear and hypersensitive back screen that is wide enough for the viewer to see what they are capturing.
- With the voice control and the quick switch button feature, the camera is the best to use, especially when your hands are busy during intense exercises.
- It is Waterproof and temperature resistant
- Its images are in 1080p resolution and 240fps
- It is quite pricey as it cost more than 200 dollars
- It is only waterproof until 11 meters and not more.
09. JVC GC-XA1 – Best Underwater Action Camera
Your world needs to be captured in utmost clarity and beauty, and you need the best of devices to make that possible. Other action cameras can make attempts, but it is the JVC action camera that can deliver the best of results. JVC GC-XA1 is the best action camera for snorkeling which comes with waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof casing, which is best for any activity from biking to snorkeling and from fishing to diving. It has one of the best zoom abilities when compared with its contemporaries, thanks to its 5X zoom feature and its CMOS optical technology. With the JVC action camera, HD pictures will no more become a thing of the past.
- The JVC action camera is the only camera under 200 dollars that comes in a dustproof, scratchproof, and shockproof casing.
- It has a 5X zoom feature which makes capturing easy
- It makes capturing images and videos easy because of its CMOS optical technology.
- It has a low battery span of only 9 hours
- It cannot capture 4k video resolution.
- The mic can be faulty at times.
10. GoPro Hero7 Black – Best 12MP Action Camera
Most action camera reviews call the GoPro Hero7 Black, the king of cameras. Is it because of her price? Or performance? Well, it is because of both. The camera is one of the most expensive in the market, and it has the hyper smooth image technology that makes the image clearer even in unstable conditions. No 12MP camera is as clear as it in its category.
Although the battery isn’t the best, GoPro Hero7 Black comes in a waterproof casing, which is resistant to 10 meters of water. This camera is sleek in design, and it works with voice command prompts.
- The GoPro Hero7 Black is indeed a hero when it comes to image and video quality.
- The hyper smooth technology is a massive plus for rough conditions.
- It can record 4k videos of up to 60fps
- Has a poor battery life
- Screen and voice commands are often problematic sometimes.
- At almost 300 dollars, the action camera is exceptionally pricey.
11. APEMAN – Best Budget Action Camera
Imagine skydiving or biking with a 16 MP camera capturing 4k videos at 25fps and 2.7k videos at 30fps attached to you. Well, if you have the APEMAN action camera, you don’t have to imagine, you have to enjoy it. It is built with a 2.4G wireless remote and wifi system; the apeman camera can be controlled with any wireless device in the vicinity, especially with the wrist remote which makes it the best budget action camera.
Captured images can be transmitted to phones or other devices through the app. It comes with an LCD 2-inch screen and water-resistant to almost 30 m of water. It also has a wide-angle lens feature.
- It has the best wireless feature, which can sync with phones, tablets, and the wrist device.
- The apeman action camera comes with a durable waterproof casing, which is waterproof in 30M of water.
- The apeman action camera has issues with battery
- It is not compatible with micro SD card of more than 32 GB
12. Contour ROAM2 – Budget Waterproof Action Camera
For the Contour ROAM2, all you have to do is to slide the slider to turn it on. It is a very pricey device, but it is worth every penny spent on it. For the first time, users can get a device that comes in many colors other than the traditional color black as it comes in red, green, and blue. It might be small-sized, but it holds the record as the best waterproof camera which can be used underwater without a waterproof case.
- It can record videos as fast as 60 frames per second.
- Users can enjoy the diversity of having their devices come in different colors.
- Uses a slider instead of a button to power on
- The Contour action camera’s battery can last up to 3-5 hours of recording video.
- The battery is only in use while filming
- It is very pricey
13. Kodak PIXPRO SP1 – Best Cheap Action Camera
If you need any proof as to why this device is the best for any user, check out its amazing features. Kodak PIXPRO SP1 is dust, shock, scratch, and waterproof. That’s enough proof. The 14MP CMOS sensor is perfect for capturing HD photos and videos.
You can enjoy playback of all your images and videos on the inbuilt 1.5 inches LCD screen. Take it anywhere you want, and you will still enjoy your shots and videos that are rock steady because of the Electronic image stabilization technology(EIS).
- It is freeze proof up to 14F/-10C32ft/10m, and shockproof from 6.5ft/2m.
- Kodak PIXPRO SP1 has the EIS technology which ensures that no image or video is blurry
- It is remote controlled.
- At 14MP, it has a low resolution when compared with its contemporaries.
- Not every user likes the yellow color.
14. Canon MM100 – 20 Megapixel Action Camera
If your camera has a 20.2 megapixel 1/2.3inch BSI CMOS sensor, then you know that you will have nothing short of crystal clear imagery and video every single moment. With one of the most massive screens. A 3inch screen fitted with 461,000 dots, the Canon MM100 action camera is a wonder to hold and use. It comes with built-in NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity, which makes it compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- The canon action camera can record continuous shooting at 2.5fps.
- It is a feature-filled device that includes features like auto, Smart auto Retro, Monochrome, Special, and Natural.
- It is a very pricey device.
- It is only available in black colors.
15. 4k Yi – One of the Trendiest 4k Action Cameras
Superb image quality, intuitive touchscreen, strong battery life, many advanced features that include built-in Bluetooth technology, and many other features are what make the YI 4K camera a hot item on the market. At 200 dollars, the action camera can record 4K/30fps (100mbps) and 2.7k videos at an astonishing 1080p/120fps resolution. You cannot miss the beautiful device anywhere you see it.
- The YI action camera comes with a 2. 2” high responsive LCD Touchscreen, which has 640 x 360 high resolution for adjusting settings, viewing images, etc.
- The gorilla glass covering the retina makes it resistant to scratches that arise from day to day use.
- Advanced features like voice control and the stabilization technology make it a standout device for ease of use.
- It is only available in pitch black
- This camera is a little pricey
- It selects micro SD cards, which means random cards cant to be used for storage except for the recommended ones.
16. Olympus TG Tracker – Shockproof Action Camera
One look at this device and you will know that it was made for the stormy days. With a pricey price tag, the Olympus TG Tracker action camera comes in a brilliant black and green color. It has a built-in Wi-Fi and about five built-in sensors and an 8MP lens to give the users time of their life.
- It has built-in sensors for capturing movements
- Great for recording 4K videos
- With 35.0 x 56.5 x 93.2 millimeter ,1.37 x 2.22 x 3.67 inches, it is a very lightweight device.
- This device comes in only one color, which makes it restrictive for those who want more colors.
- At 8MP, there is a limit to the quality of imagery that can be captured.
17. Odrvm 2.0 Inch – Best Bike Helmet Action Camera
We have seen the best 4k cameras, the best shockproof cameras, here is the best bike helmet camera. The ODRVM ultra HD device is the best for users who want to engage in any of the following sports from Water Sports to bike Riding to Racing, Skiing, and Motocross. It is waterproof when dipped in about 30metres of water, and it comes in 12MP, not forgetting the over 2-inch LCD screen for viewing, calibration, and many other uses.
18. Sony RX0 II Sensor Ultra – Most Expensive Matchbox Action Camera
Compared to other cameras in its category, this Sony RX0 II Sensor Ultra action camera has the most expensive price tag, and it comes with a 24 MM Carl Zeiss lens, which equals a 15 MP lens. Because it costs more, it does more with an approximate length of 50 cm Focus Range and the ability to record 4K videos. Other Pro features include image stabilization, time-lapse, shock, water, and crush-proof body and different kinds of protectors for the memory card and the device.
- Very fantastic focal range. Measures up to 50cm
- It comes with a shock, water, and crushproof body
- It is incredibly pricey.
19. Olfi OneFive 4K – Gyro Stabilization Technology
Measuring about 54 x 40 x 24mm, the Olfi OneFive 4K Action Sports camera is a camera to have if you are a lover of outdoor photography and imagery. With its hi-tech Gyro Stabilization technology, imagery and video captured on the device are less blurry irrespective of the rough terrain.
- At 24fps, it can record the very best of 4K HD videos.
- Large rearview LCD camera.
- It can stay waterproof in at least 30 m of water.
- It doesn’t have an editing software like a regular GoPro camera.
20. TomTom Bandit – Best Wide Angle Action Cameras
Yes, you heard it right, it’s the TomTom Bandit action camera. The reason it made this list is because of its features and specifications.
- Tomtom bandit is compatible with iOs and Android devices.
- It has a fantastic design.
- Tomtom bandit is waterproof and easy to mount.
- There have been reports of issues with the mounting plate.
- It doesn’t have digital image stabilization technology.
Beginners Guide to Buying an Action Camera 2021
All the information you need to make the right purchase
There are many reasons why you would want to get an action camera. The first is, you might be a scientist investigating some phenomena. The next is, you might be a fun-loving, adrenaline-driven individual who wants to capture the moments. When and where you achieved a personal best or crossed out an activity from your bucket list. Whatever your reason, even if it is as mundane as recording yourself singing while driving your kids to school, you need a guide to avoid making the wrong decisions.
No two action cameras are the same. They might have similar specs and functions, but they are different. Just like every device, action cameras have different parts. There is the LCD screen for viewing the objects in focus (it is dual in some devices). The attachment point for attachment with poles, dashboard, helmets, or even clothing. The buttons or a highly sensitive touch screen for controlling the device. Others come with microphones and of course, the lens. Others have apertures for inserting memory cards, USB transfer of files, and charging.
If you are a first-time buyer, ensure you look out for these basics before making your purchase.
In this guide, we have made a list of about twenty (20) action cameras. We have also provided all the answers to whatever questions you might have, check them out.
What Is an Action Camera?
Action cameras are almost similar to every conventional digital camera; the only difference is the size, function, and specification. They are specially designed for recording moments of action that they are part of. The manufacturers of these cameras take into consideration several factors while producing action cameras. These factors are predicted by the nature of the action/activities that action cameras are always involved in. The design action cameras to be durable, waterproof, and compact.
Most typical action cameras can take high definition photos in burst mode and time-lapse and even record slow-motion video. They are designed to be mounted, so it is common to see them designed with mounts for attachment to helmet, dashboard, or handlebars of a bike or even on a handheld monopod.
How to Choose a Good Action Camera?
Just like every device, action cameras have specific characteristics that make them different from each other, and in this buying guide, we will take you on a trip on what to look out for when choosing a good camera.
There is an unspoken rule regarding the use of action cameras which states “ if it is not durable, it’s not usable.” if you are a lover or user of AC’s ensure that you cop the ones that are durable enough to survive levels of falls or submergence in water or those that can bear staying in extreme conditions of heat or cold.
Clarity is critical when taking still photographs or recording slow-motion videos. The clearer is always better. Before you pay for that camera, look out for specifications like 4k, HD, HDR, MP, or 720p at 100 fps. All these signs or figures have their meanings. 4k mean video in 4k quality(four times the regular pixel), HD means high definition, etc.
We already touched on this point regarding durability. To know how much waterproof your device is, ensure that you look out for the product’s IP waterproof ratings. A stronger rating will show how much submerged a camera can stay underwater.
Most cameras come with special effects, and you must look out for these before making your purchase. Do you want a camera with HDR ability, look for one that has it, do you like cameras with Wi-Fi ability, which allows you share as you capture, or one that will enable you to track with your GPS? Look out for these effects and go for what you want.
You don’t want your lifestreaming to be interrupted by a low battery, look out for battery capacity as well as battery space before buying your action camera. Check out if the battery is rechargeable or not and how long it can last on a full charge. If you are lucky enough to have an extra battery in your pack, you probably got the best deal.
Memory space is vital. Most action cameras save their images/videos on memory sticks. Some can take images/videos of up to 32GB; others can take larger ones, always lookout for a device that can allow larger microSD sticks.
Can it do time-lapse? Can it be mounted on a handlebar, helmet, or a monopod? Does it have easy to use apps? If these are the question on your mind, ensure that you pick a device that is versatile enough to do multiple things.
Most cameras will come with accessories, others wouldn’t, to get the best out of your device, ensure that it comes with the best accessories. The accessories might include a wrist strap, a safety strap, a handgrip, a chest strap, and others.
Ease of Use
Is it easy to use ? are the processes simple or not? These are questions you must answer before deciding on the device of your choice. Look out for features like voice-activated controls, hands-free, and wireless control. They will pay off in the end, if you make the right choice.
What Are the Components of an Action Camera Box?
The components in your box might include the following, your camera, batteries, screws, buckles, handlebar, safety straps, wrist strap, mount adapter, release buckles, adhesive pads, head straps, wrist straps, chest straps, carrying bags, rotating clip mounts.
Factors to look out for when buying
- Megapixel: The more the megapixel or MP of the camera, the sharper the picture. Look out for this before buying.
- Rechargeable Battery vs. Non-Rechargeable: Rechargeable batteries can be used for consecutive times before disposal. Non- rechargeable batteries can be used just once before disposal. Go for devices with rechargeable batteries.
- 360 vs. 270 Angles: Not all cameras can cover all the angles you want at once. Cameras with 360 angles can cover more angles than those with 270 or less
- Steady Technology: Riding a bike, swimming in the water, parasailing, kayaking, and other activities will result in a lot of unsteadiness while filming. This unsteadiness can and does affect the quality of the recording if the device lacks technology that can balance such unsteadiness. Look out for this.
FAQs – Best Action Cameras Review 2021
01. How can I know if I purchased the authentic camera?
Ans: it is very easy to detect an authentic product. Try scanning the barcode on the pack or the device; you will likely find your answer here, another way to discover authenticity is the ease of connecting with wifi.
02. Does an expensive device mean a better device?
Ans: the answer to this question is a yes and no. some action cameras are expensive because of their features, functions, and specifications; others are expensive but not as great as other less expensive ones.
03. What cameras are best for my device?
Ans: there are no universally recommended micro SD cards for camera’s however, you before you buy any memory card, check out the specifications listed on your device. Some devices can use memory cards of 32GB; others can use that of 256GB.
04. If my action camera is immersed in water that is deeper than its recommended value, what should I do?
Ans: most action cameras are designed to be waterproof, but in the case where they are immersed in more water that is above their waterproof ability, provided they are not damaged, the device should be removed immediately and placed in a sack filled with grain to allow to drain or apply heat treatment to it.
05. Will my camera comes with all the accessories I need?
Ans: Yes. Your camera should come with all the accessories listed on the website or the pack. If it doesn’t, you can, and you should ask questions about
No drone will aptly capture your flight down the Everest or your attempt to break the world record for the most swims done with a butterfly stroke as much as an action camera would.
Are they only useful for death-defying, cliffhanging, and daredevil activities? Not at all. Action cameras can be mounted on a bicycle helmet to record your cycling through the woods; they can be installed on a vehicle’s dashboard to record short videos. They can be installed in and on several places for different reasons depending on the need of the user.
We painstakingly, compiled this list of the best action camera that is perfect for your use, from the best budget action camera, for the individual that wants the best for less to the best 4k action camera which was designed to capture and record the finest and best of 4k imagery to the best action camera under 100 dollars for the amateur that wants to try out some action. To the best action camera under 200, for those who have more money to spare and those who want value for their money. One feature is consistent irrespective of the kind of action camera you want to spend your money on. Opting for the most scratch-proof, dustproof, and waterproof device is one of the best decisions that you can make because of the activities you might undergo with your camera.
Finally, just like you will see in most action camera reviews, price, quality, specifications, and beauty are the qualities that should influence your choice of action camera before you make any purchase.